With input from local practitioners and the help from our GIS team, the Implementing Precision Conservation in the Susquehanna River Watershed team is working to deliver the best available data to our partners. These tools help identify where across the landscape riparian buffer and habitat restoration could yield the greatest environmental benefits.
Our goal is to deliver project-scale datasets to help our partners make evidence-based land management decisions. The tools are user-friendly and web-based, putting innovative data into the hands of the conservation and restoration community, regardless of their technical expertise.
To get started:
- We identified 43,833 conservation opportunity areas in Clinton and Centre Counties.
- Zoom in until you can see conservation opportunity areas shown in gold.
- To get more information, click directly on the conservation opportunity area. If you see (1 of 2) or (1 of 3) written in the blue bar at the top, you may need to click the white arrow in the blue bar to see additional pages with information on the conservation opportunity area.
- Scroll down the pop-up box to see all the metrics used to prioritize the conservation opportunity area (a guide to the datasets used as well as a detailed methodology to prioritization is attached).
- The last line is the Final_Rank—how this conservation opportunity area ranks compared to the other 43,833 conservation opportunity areas in the two counties. Lower number in the Final_Rank field = higher priority for restoration.
- To explore the datasets further and see helpful overlays like wetlands, species distribution, slope (similar to hillshade), etc. click on “Content” at the top left, then click the small black arrow to the left of “Precision Conservation in the Susquehanna Watershed”
See “Documentation” below for more detailed information.
Example of the web-tool:
We welcome any suggestions or requests–please contact Chesapeake Conservancy project manager, Carly Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Riparian Forest Buffer Prioritization in Clinton and Centre Counties: Protocol and Datasets; March 2017
- High-resolution land cover dataset for the Chesapeake Bay watershed; December 2016
- Land Cover 101 Guide; December 2016
- New enhanced flow path dataset for the Susquehanna River watershed; December 2016
- Susquehanna Conservation Opportunity Area Assessment: A Methodology to Identify Conservation Opportunity Areas in the Susquehanna River Watershed; November 2016
- Precision Conservation Workshop, January 2017
- Precision Conservation Workshop, April 2017
- Precision Conservation Workshop, June 2017